Camp Frack 2
Hundreds say No to Fracking at Camp Frack 2
Despite rough weather conditions, hundreds of protesters attended Camp Frack 2 at Mere Brow in Lancashire last weekend to demonstrate their opposition to fracking and support for climate jobs.
Organised by a coalition of local and national anti-fracking, Trades Union, and environmental groups including Campaign against Climate Change, Camp Frack 2 brought people together from across the country to demonstrate a unified front and share campaign strategies against hydraulic fracturing.
The weekend involved talks, presentations, workshops and a protest action which brought together hundreds of local and national activists.
Blackpool Gazette - Campaigners at fracking event
In September 2011 Campaign against Climate Change, REAF and other climate groups organised Camp Frack (1) to protest against plans by Cuadrilla Resources to drill for shale gas. Out of this camp the group Frack Off came into existance.
How much will it cost?
Want to help? (This will grant you free access to the event, beer tokens and meal vouchers.) We are looking for stewards, first aiders and artists: please check our steward page and email us now at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Buses: Bus route 2X runs approximately half hourly seven days a week between Preston, Mere Brow and Southport, running past Preston station and close to Southport station. Buses run through to and from Liverpool as route X2. Note that the last bus from Preston (Mon-Sat) is at 19:24, but there are later buses from Southport (till 22:11). Mere Brow is also served by route 347 between Chorley, Rufford and Southport, but this isn’t very frequent and there’s nothing on Sundays.
Trains: the best rail station with a Sunday service is Burscough Bridge on the Manchester-Wigan-Southport line. On Monday-Saturday there are also New Lane on the same line (but with fewer trains stopping) and Rufford on the Ormskirk-Preston line.
Walkers and cyclists: Please check the Camp Frack website.
You can find a map of the site here.
What to bring
- Direction if making your own way to the site (Mere Brow, Nr Tarleton, Lancs PR4 6JX or 53.657966,-2.887566).
- Tent with it's poles and pegs
- Sleeping bag, air bed / crash mat
- Torch / headtorch
- Waterproof jacket / poncho, a change of clothes or two, shoes / trainers and boots or better still wellies, lots and lots of socks (can't be happy with wet feet)
- Wash kit: sanitising gel, baby wipes, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, sun cream, lip balm, towel, toilet roll
- First aid kit
- Bin bags, matches / lighter, duct tape, cord / string
- Water bottle, cooking utensils, stove / disposable BBQ
- The sort of food that is easy to eat, cook and keep fresh outdoors